Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Katharsis Apr. 13 '09

Download the mp3 or ogg recording.

Mostly quieter, rootsy alt-pop tonight: Cam Penner, Lorrie Matheson, Howie Beck, Greater California, St. Vincent & The National (covering Crooked Fingers), Bill Callahan (complete with annoying car horn blasts. Sorry, I’m a little thick and it’s taken me 2 weeks of playing this thing on my show and a bit of googling to figure out that the horn-honking is an anti-piracy feature of my review copy, not some quirky attempt at levity on Callahan’s part. I guess I should have played my downloaded ‘illegitimate’ 320 kbps mp3 copy of the album which is car horn-free and I’ve had for weeks rather than my more recently-received ‘legitimate’ but sonically mutilated promo copy. Thanks Drag City, you’re really making it easy for us to review and promote the album. I guess spoiling the music for reviewers and radio dj’s (and their audiences) is acceptable collateral damage in the war against online piracy. Brilliant.) Pale Air Singers, Three Mile Pilot, 40 seconds of dead air (!!!) (Sorry, I forgot to plug in an audio cable to the laptop; real swift…), Seaworthy, Olenka and the Autumn Lovers, Royal City, Jon-Rae Fletcher, PJ Harvey & John Parish, Songs:Ohia, Bill Frisell, Brian Borcherdt, Great Lake Swimmers, Lhasa, Mark Kozelek, Mountains, Rothko, Ilyas Ahmed, James Blackshaw, and Color Cassette. Again, sorry for all the technical glitches. Operator error is to blame. It was an off week.

The links to the archived show recordings should be good for up to 3 weeks from the show date. If the links expire just let me know via comment and I'll re-up.

No comments: